Two finishes and a Recipe for Hexie Weekend

I met my goal - my commission quilt is finished.  We decided to give it to Father on his birthday which is Monday.

LOL - my holders didn't want to be in the photo and you can see one is taller than the other from the slant of the quilt.  I didn't catch that in the viewfinder.

and here's another finished hexie flower.  I think I have about 20 of these now.  Need 16 more.

Time for a recipe.  We love turkey carcass soup. Each year the evening of Thanksgiving, I boil the bones and make broth and then my DH likes to clean the bones. This year, with all the family here, I didn't want to miss a minute with them.  So I froze the bones and pan drippings.  Three weeks later, long after the last turkey meat was eaten, I decided to make the soup.
Here's dinner from the freezer - Turkey soup and rolls - all leftover from Thanksgiving.  If you've never made some, here's what I did. I took out the bones and pan drippings (plus a little bag of white meat) from the freezer about three hours to defrost before you start the soup.
1. Place the carcass in a large pot.  Squash the bones down so that they'll be covered with 3 quarts of water. Bring to a gentle boil while you add 3 bay leaves, some salt to taste, a little black pepper, basil, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning. Let it cook for an hour.
2. Strain the broth and keep the bones for the vulture in your family. If no one is around, I pick the meat off the bones and set aside.  Pour the broth back into the pot. Add the pan drippings ( skim the fat off) and stir to dissolve and mix. Taste for salt.
3. Again bring to a gentle boil while you chop 3 carrots, one small onion, two stalks of celery, a quarter of a small cabbage and 3 medium sized potatoes. I would have added green pepper but had none in the freezer.  Add in the order listed.  Wait to add the potatoes and cabbage til the last 20 minutes - total time about 30-40 minutes or just til the carrots are done - they take longer than the potatoes.  
4. Chop the turkey meat and put in last just before you turn off the soup.  You don't want to recook the meat, just warm it up.  While the soup was cooking I made a pot of rice. We put a scoopful of rice in the bowl and ladled the soup over it.  Serve with bread and salad if you like. Oranges for dessert.
Enjoy!

So what have you been up to?  Show us your eye candy - quilty or not; hexie or not. Old post or new. Button below.  I'm linking to Amanda Jean's Finish it Up Friday and Sarah's Can I get a Whoop, Whoop?


10 comments:

  1. I finished one more row of hexies - still a ways to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I make turkey (carcass) soup too. The only difference is that I put the strained broth into the fridge overnight after cooking down the carcass and then in the morning skim all the fat that has risen to the surface and congealed. We love turkey soup here! Am working on finishing up my sleigh bells ring...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy Mom! And the commission quilt looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your wonderful, wonderful quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! The quilt looks marvelous! :D That is really going to make your dad happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That music quilt is lovely!

    I use the turkey carcass to make turkey broth and then I pressure can it to use whenever I need broth... sometimes to make soup, others in recipes. Store bought broth can't compare to home canned.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely music quilt you've made for your father. And keep up the good work with your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt is great and I'm sure it will be used and loved by Father. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. El quilt es muy bonito.Tengo los hexagonos abandonados y eso que me entretienen y me encantan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I know it feels great to have that finish. Still no sewing here last week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. It's always nice to hear from you. I try to reply to each and every one of you, but sometimes life gets in the way. I hope you understand. Blessings.

All Comes to A Halt

 Sighhhh....  While I was quilting I  ran my finger, somehow, under the needle. Went right through my left index fingernail right through to...